Sunday, March 2, 2008

Rape Myths

This is posted for the benefit of one of the guys I've always counted as a friend. But if you can't be a friend to women, dude, then you obviously can't be a friend to me.

Earlier, we spoke of my volunteer work and sexual violence against women, and you made the shocking claim that most reported rapes were false accusations, and that women lie, and basically fed me a cute little list of rape culture rhetoric. Here's a thank-you note.

I particularly want to draw your attention to this rape myth:

Women lie about being sexually assaulted to get revenge, for their own benefit, or because they feel guilty afterwards about having sex.
reality: Women rarely make false reports about sexual assault. Acquaintance sexual assault is the most underreported crime in Canada. Only 6% of sexual assaults are reported to the police. As well, false accusations of rape happen no more often than false reports of other types of crime: about 2 to 4%, which means 96 to 98% of the reports are true. (Source: University of Alberta - 'Sexual Assault and the Law in Canada' )
Hopefully, you'll take this opportunity to educate yourself and stop contributing to a women-blaming culture that trivializes sexual violence. Call me only when you're ready to admit you're wrong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*bows* I am not worthy!

... or wrong